In May 2021, the Independent Panel presented its findings and recommendations for action to curb the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure that any future infectious disease outbreak does not become another catastrophic pandemic.
This is the culmination of eight months of work. Beginning in September 2020, the Independent Panel systematically, rigorously and comprehensively examined why COVID-19 became a global health and socio-economic crisis.
On this page you will find the main report, a summary and a companion evidence-based narrative report, video presentations of the report and news conference, and a sample of global reactions to the Panel’s report.
1. The main report presents the Panel’s findings and recommendations.
2. Summary of the main report
3. The companion evidence-based narrative
This report describes 13 defining moments which have shaped the course of the pandemic.
Background documents represent the Panel’s in-depth research including an authoritative chronology of the early response. Additional background papers will be posted in the month of May 2021.
- Building on the past – PDF, 952 KB
- a. COVID-19: The authoritative chronology, December 2019 – March 2020 – PDF, 19.9 MB.
Explore the multimedia version.
- From science to policy: Provision of technical and strategic guidance based on evidence by WHO – PDF, 1.8 MB
- Health systems resilience in managing the COVID-19 pandemic: lessons from 28 countries, published in Nature Medicine (2021)
- Access to vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics – PDF, 3 MB
- Scaling-up vaccine production capacity: Legal challenges and recommendations – PDF, 609 KB
- Access to essential supplies – PDF, 1.3 MB
- Impact on essential health services – PDF, 1.1 MB
- Social costs of the COVID-19 pandemic – PDF, 1.5 MB
- Centering communities in pandemic preparedness and response – PDF, 1 MB
- Human rights dimensions of the COVID-19 pandemic – PDF, 940 KB
- To be published
- Social and economic impact of COVID-19 – PDF, 1.4 MB
- Financing Pandemic Preparedness and Response – PDF, 1.6 MB
- The World Health Organization: an institutional review – PDF, 1.6 MB
- International health law in perspective- PDF, 1 MB
How an outbreak became a pandemic: the defining moments of the COVID-19 pandemic
Explore the multimedia version, including more video content.
The authoritative chronology, Dec 2019 – March 2020
Explore the multimedia version of the authoritative chronology, showing real-time evidence, retrospective evidence, international actions, and country actions.
No more pandemics: Bearing witness to COVID-19 and committing to a more secure future
This multimedia report features voices the Panel heard during Exchanges, roundtable meetings, and from individuals who shared their personal experiences.
All Independent Panel videos, including personal stories from around the world, are here on the Panel’s Vimeo page.
Videos: presentation and news conference
Co-Chairs’ presentation of findings and recommendations
The Panel Co-Chairs, the Rt Hon. Helen Clark and HE Ellen Johnson Sirleaf present the Panel’s findings and recommendations which are published in the Main Report, COVID-19: Make it the Last Pandemic. Guests include Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus, Dr. Gro Harlem Brundtland, Dr. Madhu Pai, Dr. Pascale Allotey and Dr. Jim Kim.
Main report launch: news conference
The news conference that followed the launch of the Independent Panel’s Main Report, COVID-19: Make it the Last Pandemic, including Co-Chairs Clark and Sirleaf, and panel members Mauricio Cárdenas and Dr. Joanne Liu.
A new pathogen with pandemic potential could emerge at any time, and then there will be no excuse for a “wait and see” approach. There has to be investment in preparedness now, not when the next crisis hits.